My Blog List

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blog 10: Gattaca response

“The new ideal human, the genetically engineered ‘superior’ human, will almost certainly come to represent ‘the other.’ If history is a guide, either the normal humans will view the ‘better’ humans as the other and seek to control or destroy them, or vice versa” (236).

I fully agree with this hypothesis. The normal humans were on this planet first. Therefore, there's no reason to not think the new genetically engineered human is the "other" because I sure would. I feel that the normal humans would try to eliminate the "better" humans because we aren't accustomed to the new humans. The "other" represents someone that is different. We don't want anything foreign.

I also think the normal humans would try to eliminate the new ones because of competition. There's always someone better than us but it feels like it would be cheating if humans were "made" to be better. It isn't natural. Coinciding with genetically engineered humans doesn't seem fair.

In Gattaca, the "other" humans were the opposite of what I think. The "other" were the invalids which are the normal humans. It's not fair that invalids weren't allowed to have good jobs or allowed to be combined with the valids. Even the name "invalid" is crazy to me. How do you call original humans invalid? That's pretty absurd if you ask me. I like to refer the "valids" as fake humans. The "invalids" should've tried to take out the genetically engineered humans.

2 comments:

  1. Good point on the competition, humans are pretty much built for competition, we see it every day on the streets, during work, at school, etc. So basically that's what would happen, I agree 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a good response to the movie as well as Annas’ essay. So I will say that it is unexpected but like I told tasheema this is a media class you can use other movies and mediums to describe the other

    ReplyDelete