My Blog List

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog 8: The Concept of the Other

a) give a description of your "other."
In my opinion, there's no such thing as normal. Everyone is different. Therefore, it's hard for me to choose what I consider to be the "other." If there was a gun at my head and I had to choose the "other", it would have to mentally challenged people. The reason being is that I cannot identify with them. That doesn't mean I want them to be eliminated from this planet.


b) explain what it is about it that makes you feel such opposition to it
I feel that I can't relate to them in the way they get treated because of their disability. I couldn't imagine going through the problems they go through. It's hard live in our society and be seen as a normal person when you are mentally disabled. It's an unfortunate thing that people think this way.


c) discuss what has happened or would happen in situations where you have to interact with someone who belongs to "the other" as you define it. You should make sure that you do not write something offensive to members of that group, but at the same time if you keep good manners you should express your ideas openly.
I honestly wouldn't have a problem interacting with someone I consider "the other." However, it might be hard communicating and understanding what they're trying to say to me. I don't think I've ever interacted with someone who was mentally disabled. I would like to experience it and see how I would handle it.




FOLLOW-UP


I know I have been seen as "the other" by my parents because of the music I listen to. I listen to all types of music but the main one is hip hop. It's not the same "hip hop" that you hear on the radio. I don't listen to what everyone else listens to. I get questioned a lot by my parents for my reasoning of being so attracted to it. They don't understand how I can just listen to someone rap all day long. My mom is always saying "Don't you get tired of it?" It's pretty annoying. I don't see my parents any different because they don't understand my musical taste. As I said before, to me, no one is normal. Nobody has the same tastes. It can be annoying at times that I get questioned but it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment